How to find Kubuntu Version #

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed May 29 07:20:44 UTC 2013

Ramesh Rao wrote:
> lsb_release cmd worked..
>
> ramesh at mozart:/etc$ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        11.10
> Codename:       oneiric
>
> Did not find /etc/os-release though. It should be somewhere..

I didn't know from when on the file /etc/os-release was included. That's
why I provided both commands, and obviously 11.10 doesn't have that
file. Then 12.04 is the first release which includes that file.

Anyway, I'd like to mention that 11.10 has reached EOL [1] and it is
recommended to upgrade to a later version [2]. If the standard
repositories for 11.10 are already removed, you should change the
server from *.archive.ubuntu.com to old-releases.ubuntu.com in the file
/etc/apt/sources.list to make it work [3].

Nils

[1] <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2013-May/000174.html>
[2] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu>
[3] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades>