failed online update 12.10 to 13.04 black screen

Uriah Heep stan10x10 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 06:08:44 UTC 2013

try pressing ctrl+alt+F2 or F3 and see if you get a login prompt. If so,
logon with normal username/password. Then run command startx and see what
output you get

After my initial log in and black screen I did as you suggested and wound
up on the cl. There were comments that I was using 13.04 and that there was
a new release 1304 and the usual disclaimer that nothing was guaranteed.
Assuming I am supposed to be at cl what do I need to enter to run comman
startx?
Thanks  Uriah