[13.04_64Bit] - Ugly Boot/Shutdown Screens?

Steven Grace sgrace at pobox.com
Mon May 27 16:18:09 UTC 2013

On 05/26/2013 10:00 AM, Jesse Palser wrote:

> I recently switched from openSUSE 12.3 64Bit KDE
> to Kubuntu 13.04 64Bit on my thin client with Intel CPU and nVidia GPU.
>
> I have one problem(well not a problem, but annoyance)
> During boot or shutdown, I have ugly text screen:
>
>                                          Kubuntu
>                                          .   .   .   .
>
> How do I get back the pretty boot/shutdown screens?
> I do have the proprietary nVidia display driver installed(nVidia ION
> 512MB GPU)

I don't have the full solution but I believe I understand the cause.

My PC has two installations of Xubuntu 12.04 and one installation of
Ubuntu Studio 12.04. I've observed that I only get the "pretty" screens
for my primary installation (the first one listed in GRUB). The others
get the text screen you're referring to.

(On my PC the "pretty" screens only display for a fraction of a second
so it doesn't matter to me whether I see them or not.)

I checked /boot/grub/grub.cfg and noticed that the primary installation
has three additional lines below the "menuentry" line that the other
installations don't have:

recordfail
gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio

I booted a secondary installation after temporarily editing the boot
information to add the lines above; the "pretty" screens appeared at
boot and at shutdown.

I'm sure there's a way to get those additional lines permanently added;
perhaps someone else can help with that. I'm pretty sure you're not
supposed to edit grub.cfg directly.