[13.04_64Bit] - Ugly Boot/Shutdown Screens?

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Sun May 26 18:09:45 UTC 2013

On 05/26/2013 07:00 PM, Jesse Palser wrote:
> [13.04_64Bit] - Ugly Boot/Shutdown Screens?
>
> Hi,
>
> I recently switched from openSUSE 12.3 64Bit KDE
> to Kubuntu 13.04 64Bit on my thin client with Intel CPU and nVidia GPU.
>
> I have one problem(well not a problem, but annoyance)
> During boot or shutdown, I have ugly text screen:
>
>                                          Kubuntu
>                                          .   .   .   .
>

> How do I get back the pretty boot/shutdown screens?
> I do have the proprietary nVidia display driver installed(nVidia ION
> 512MB GPU)
> Thanks!
>
> Nice OS...

I guess the word "pretty" i a matter of personal taste. Many *buntu
users ask the opposite question: "how to get rid of the
not-so-informative eye candy" and see whats really going on when a linux
system boots in all its glory.

I do, for example. So in the file /etc/default/grub I have removed the
words "quiet splash". After doing so and saving the edits (as root, of
couse), one will need to run 'sudo update-grub'. On next reboot there's
no more eye candy, just a lot of information scrolling by.

Regards
Kaj Haulrich.

--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 13.04 ---------