Dependency problems - part 2

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Wed May 22 10:01:44 UTC 2013

On 22/05/13 19:44, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Phil wrote:
>> On 22/05/13 16:53, Phil wrote:
>>> I'm running into many dependency problems while trying to install
>>> several different packages. Netcat is the most recent package that
>>> fails to install due to dependency problems.
>>>
>>> Is anyone else having problems installing netcat on Kububtu 13.04?
>>
>> I have another laptop running Xubuntu and I have been able to install
>> netcat without any problem at all. So, is this dependency problem
>> related to Kubuntu (a bug of some sort) or is it possible that
>> something is amiss with my installation?
>
> I can't confirm the problem - just installed netcat on Kubuntu 13.04.
> And your Xubuntu experience shows that there shouldn't be a problem.
> After all the repositories for Xubuntu and Kubuntu are the same. Could
> you provide some more detail? Please run the command
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> and post the output of the command
>
> sudo apt-get install netcat
>
> in a terminal on the machine with the dependency problem.

Thank you Nils for your reply.

phil at Asus:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install netcat
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  libc6 : Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) but it is not going to be installed or
                   debconf-2.0
          Depends: libgcc1 but it is not going to be installed
  netcat : Depends: netcat-traditional (>= 1.10-39) but it is not going
to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

If I attempt to install mplayer, for example, then the dependency list
is quite a lot longer.

--
Regards,
Phil