OT: looking for advise on laptop upgrade

Uriah Heep stan10x10 at gmail.com
Wed May 22 00:26:35 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 02:48:02 AM Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> I have Dell Latitude D820 laptop with Dual Core 1.8GHz CPU and 1GB of

> RAM. The laptop is slightly over 6 years old.

I am using a Dell D630 with similar specs and age, originally with 2gb ram,
but a 2.0 dual core cpu, and intel integrated graphics. My cpu has a
slightly faster bus speed and more l2 cache. It originally had a 1.8ghz
cpu, but I replaced the motherboard and in the process got the 2.0 .

> Until recent I was satisfied with it. However with advent of new

> technologies it started performing poorly with DEs like KDE4 or Unity.

> Since I do not consider switching to neither Xfce nor LXDE, the only

> choice I have is either to upgrade RAM up to 4GB, which would cost me

> with taxes around $80-90, or to buy a new laptop.

> However I'm not sure on 2 things:

> 1. Would such RAM upgrade actually give me real significant burst in

> performance?

Not sure where you live or the prices there. I have seen entry level
laptops with 4 gigs ram and usb3 for $250.these usually have windows 8
installed and are for webb browsing and simple office work but should be
quicker under linux than windows. I used to have an extra 1 gig stick of
ram I would have sent but I can not find it. You might also consider going
back to an earler version of Linux that worked for you while you save for a
new laptop because after 6 years the likelyhood of expensive failure is
starting to get high.
uriah