back to 12.10...

Jörg von Frantzius jfrantzius at gmail.com
Mon May 6 10:49:21 UTC 2013

Hi Sinclair,

I'm not on 13.04 yet but would like to, and I'm a bit worried now about the
problems with Broadcom wireless drivers. Do you have the
bcmwl-kernel-source package installed? Could you tell a bit what the
symptoms were?

Regards,
Jörg

2013/5/3 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com>

> After a disaster upgrade to 13.04 thought I share my experience and also
> ask a question.
>
> For starters: the upgrade as such went smooth. It was when I rebooted the
> headaches started.. with plasma crashing on login, endless error messages,
> desktop looking weird and freezes.
>
> I eventually found out that in kernel 3.6 or 7 and up to at least 2.8 the
> vgaswitcheroo function is buggered. This is the one that assist us unlucky
> "hybrid graphics" owners to kill off one gpu or switch between them. In my
> case I either kill my AMD or watch my fan eating battery alive. AMD
> proprietaty drivers stopped working after 11.10 and yes I have tried
> Catalyst Legacy.
>
> So OK thought perhaps I could live with that after a looong first login I
> have to log out and then on second login things look kind of normal.
>
> Then I discover that the Brodacomm wireless driver has gone buggered since
> upgrade and I can not downgrade. Any new wifi connection refuses to work.
>
> That is where I gave up and reverted to my trusty Remastersys created
> 12.10 KDE 4.10.0 custom install usb.
>
> My question is now: I do not want to upgrade to 4.10.2 via backports PPA
> as it has issues in KDEPIM but want to only go to 4.10.1 . Does anyone know
> of way of doing that?
>
> For me with AMD/Intel hybrid graphics and Broadcomm wireless 13.04 is a
> no-go, will have to wait for 13.10 and see what happens.
>
> Best regards,
> Sinclair

Hier <https://plus.google.com/u/0/108077266064673284332/posts> miniblogge
ich so vor mich hin