ATI drivers do not yet support the X Server 1.13

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Mar 11 16:07:31 UTC 2013

On Monday 11 March 2013 11:44:24 Dennis Linux did opine:

> Ubuntu and Ati not working in Ubuntu 12.10.
> I believe this issue is because the ATI drivers do not yet support the
> current X Server 1.13. So we are going to be waiting on ATI? How long
> have we to wait for workeble drivers?
>
> Regards Dennis

My guess is about a year after all of that model of card has disappeared
out of the sales pipeline.  ATI will not help linux until the long tail of
sales to the windows folks has petered out.  They will throw code over the
wall for card W, about 6 months after card W has had a new chipset
installed on it, making that code worthless without saying anything on the
box to indicate its a 3rd generation card.  In 15 years, I've bought 4 of
their cards & had to go get an nvidia & use it till the nvidia died,
usually from a fan failure, at which point I could then put the ATI card
back in and it worked. ATI had finally released the code for it.

But I'm getting schmardter, the nvidia card in this box is now on its third
fan.

IOW, go get an nvidia card.  I've actually been running the nouveau driver
on a gforce card for about 2 years now.  Its not a 5000 fps setup, but who
needs more that the 3 hundred I'm getting?  Persistence of vision renders
the 5000 fps card as just another source of heat.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Beauty:
	What's in your eye when you have a bee in your hand.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...