Hybrid ati Intel laptop

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Mar 4 08:25:00 UTC 2013

Hi Dennis,

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Dennis Linux <frankie-1 at hotmail.nl> wrote:
> If Catalist is not nessecary needed i've got no problem with it.
> But what terminal code do i need to install the Radeon driver or what else?
> I don't understand the way of driver use in Ubuntu and internet does make it
> confuse.
> I didn't know that the videocard manufracters did that to Linux, but i heard
> last the founder of Linux against Nvidia and ati.

On startup you need to go to the BIOS and make sure it starts on the
embedded graphics. Make sure to not select "switchable graphics" as
that option is not working under Linux.
Once you are started, make sure to install the following packages:

xserver-xorg-video-ati
xserver-xorg-video-radeon
fglrx
fglrx-updates

You can install each of those with the command "sudo apt-get install"
in a shell, or use the package manager for that.

Once these drivers are installed, restart the computer and go to the
BIOS on start up to select the ATI graphic card. Again, do not select
switchable graphics.

Of course this will only work if you have a very recent Kubuntu,
ideally 12.10 as you need a very recent Linux kernel.

Mind you, the 3D acceleration might not be very good on the ATI card,
but again, that is due to the poor driver quality on the complete HD
7000 series support under Linux, something you can blame the
manufacturer for, and sadly the catalyst drivers provided by ATI are
generally lower quality compared to the free Radeon driver.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org