mailing list for mail/Mail/mailx

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jun 29 21:28:11 UTC 2013

On Saturday 29 June 2013 17:13:31 Gene Heskett did opine:

Ping??

> Hello all;
>
> I'm on 10.04.4 LTS yet, and have a 'mail' problem, as it is either
> sending to ~/dead.letter or straight into a /dev/null.  It did work a
> year ago, and I have no clue when it stopped working because I had
> temporarily stopped using the backup app, amanda, that used it.
>
> Googling for mail's mailing list only gets me 20 some pages of people
> trying to sell a mailng list, or how to setup mailman to run a list.
>
> So, does anyone know where I can join the "mail" mailing list?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers, Gene

Well, since there seems not to be anyone knowledgeable about "mail-Mail-
mailx (they are all the same ack the man page) and my install doesn't seem
to even give me the responses that the manpage talks about, (-d does
nothing, and -v for verbose has to be threatened to get any kind of a
message out of it, none of which is the least bit useful for debugging.

So now I am asking what I can install that replaces mail with a
transparent, works like mail is supposed to, equivalent?  All I really need
is to restore the ability of a process, running as any user, to send me a
completion status msg.  Is the not such a beast?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
<|Rain|> #define struct union /* great space saver */
         law-abiding citizens.