FW: External Backup Disk Drive

Ramesh Rao rameshrao55 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 22 17:55:39 UTC 2013

I am unable to send the email with the attachments because of size limitations. Sending it anyway without the attachments.

Thanks,
Ramesh
From: rameshrao55 at hotmail.com
To: basroufs at gmail.com; kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: RE: External Backup Disk Drive
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:40:52 +0000

Thanks a lot to all who have joined the discussion and provided tips/suggestions. I will try to answer some of your questions.

1. It is a usb connection.
2. But on connecting, I don't see the device under "Dolphin". I am attaching a screen-snapshot.
3. The Partition Editor also does not show the external drive. Snapshot attached. It shows only the internal two drives.
4. BUT lsusb command lists following. The last line one refers to Seagate Backup Drive.
5. Without the device being "detected" I cannot do the formatting etc..

ramesh at mozart:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04e8:3272 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0430:100e Sun Microsystems, Inc. 24.1" LCD Monitor v4 / FID-638 Mouse
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1267:0213 Logic3 / SpectraVideo plc
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0430:00a2 Sun Microsystems, Inc. Type 7 Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bc2:a0a4 Seagate RSS LLC
ramesh at mozart:~$

I am particularly thankful to Bas for his very detailed instructions. Right now I would appreciate if someone leads me to the next step..

Thanks all,
Ramesh Rao
937-434-6625
Dayton, OH 45458