External Backup Disk Drive

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 06:32:32 UTC 2013

On 22/06/2013 04:01, Ramesh Rao wrote:
> All,
>
> I just today bought Seagate Backup Plus (2TB) external drive. It seems
> to come with Windows/Mac2 compatible auto-backup software.
>
> My question is :
>
> 1. the auto backup software may not work under Linux. In that event
> would manual backup be possible?
>
> 2. Kubuntu has "Lucky Backup" software. Would that work on these Seagate
> Drives. (I personally see no reason not to..)
>
> I just wanted to be sure..
>
> Thanks,
> Ramesh

I have been using Luckybackup for years and I HAVE done restore from an
external usb backup disk with Luckybackup so I know it works.

Having said that I reformatted the USB to ext3 format. I don't think it
is necessary but it helps in keeping all file information. Fat32 does
not, by design, keep all info.

Mine is a Clie disk but I don't think that brand matters at all (I have
used several brands), it should work "out of the box". If you have one
of those that requires 2 usb ports don't forget to connect both or it
might not work at all.

Kind regards,
Sinclair