Showing a video: which package works best?

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 13:37:43 UTC 2013

Hello Everybody,

Less then an hour ago, I posted you this question:

> this Friday evening I need to publicly show a video via a beamer. So, I need to use a safe package I can rely on.
> Who has practical video show experience with VLC, Dragon Player or any other package?

Now, I need to reformulate this question.

About one hour ago, I tried both VLC and Dragonplayer while Kontact,
akonadi and  virtuoso were still running. The film had a lot of
hiccups because Kontact, akonadi and virtuoso "eat"  often all the
available CPU.
A few minutes ago, I disabled Nepomuk, Virtuoso and Kontact. After
doing so, both VLC and Dragonplayer worked perfectly well.

Nepomuk I switched off via SYSTEM SETTINGS > desktop search. Kontact
and Virtuoso, I 'killed' via the "system activity"  window from the
panel.
My question is now: are these measures enough to make sure that not
any process will interfere the film at some moment?

I would appreciate getting one or a few answers to this question.

Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.

--

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1; NL - 3514 VT Utrecht

E. BasRoufs at gmail.com; Mob. +31 6 446 835 10; Tel. +31 30 785 20 40.

Open source OS: Kubuntu 12.10, see kubuntu.org .
Websites in construction: BasRoufs.eu ; Viaconsensus.nl; RainbowGathering.eu .