problem loading i8k module upon boot

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 22:00:13 UTC 2013

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:45:42 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Monday, June 10, 2013 03:30:32 AM Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>> I need to load i8k module upon boot for lm-sensors to be able to read
>> data from my Dell laptop fan. In Ubuntu 12.04 I just added line "i8k"
>> to /etc/modules file and everything works just fine.
>>
>> However in Kubuntu 12.10 added the same line to the same file has no
>> effect. That is the i8k module is not loaded upon boot. The only thing
>> I can see in kernel log is the following error:"i8k: unable to get SMM
>> BIOS version". Tried to add line "i8k force=1" without any results
>> either.
>>
>> Running 'modprobe i8k' in CLI loads the module and 'sensors' reads the
>> fan data as expected. But this rightfully does not survive a reboot.
>>
>> What's the heck makes Kubuntu so different from its "big brother"? Any
>> suggestions, please?
>
> I always run "sensors-detect" and let it find the modules needed to load
> and then auto-update the /etc/modules file.  Something may have changed
> with 12.10.

I found in Ubuntu 12.04 there is no need to run sensors-detect anymore.
Just install lm-sensors and then run 'sensors' from CLI and you get the
results. I'm not sure but it looks to me that 'sensors-detect' is run
upon installation.

I actually tried to additionally run sensors-detect in Ubuntu 12.04 but
it added nothing to the sensors list already reported. This is why I
added i8k to /etc/modules.

Same thing happens in Kubuntu. You install lm-sensors and 'sensors' gives
you the same results, i.e. everything but fan information. This is why I
wanted to load i8k on boot.

And I still can understand why in Kubuntu the added i8k line is just
ignored.