what program controls entries in resolv.conf?

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Tue Jun 4 14:28:35 UTC 2013

On Monday, June 03, 2013 07:41:40 PM D. R. Evans wrote:
> Running 13.04, my resolv.conf file looks like this:
>
> ----
>
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> resolvconf(8) #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE
> OVERWRITTEN nameserver 127.0.1.1
> search homelan.org
>
> ----
>
> Where did these entries actually come from? In particular, I want to get rid
> of the "search" line, but my efforts at googling didn't present me with any
> suggestions as to how to do this.
>
> My best guess is that it got the entries from
> /run/resolvconf/interface/NetworkManager, but if that's true, then where did
> the values in that file come from? The Kubuntu Network Manager doesn't seem
> to display anything relevant on any screen I can find.
>
>   Doc

It done by a pkg called resolvconf...   which, one you get things right, is not a bad
thang......

If you put your nameserver addresses into  /etc/network/interfaces, it will pick
them up and build your resolv.conf.

For one thing, in the later versions, /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to
../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf  but that's minor.

You also put your search domains into /etc/network/interfaces  and you'll be set.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces  on  13.04:
=======================
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.3
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.2
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.2 216.245.224.4 216.245.225.142
dns-domain bmarsh.org
dns-search bmarsh.org

Hope this helps....

+ Bruce S. Marshall  bmarsh at bmarsh.com  Bellaire, MI         06/04/13 10:20  +