Forcing VGA video on for nVidia nv50 (Lenovo T61p)

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 21:25:03 UTC 2013

> From: Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>
>Subject: Re: Forcing VGA video on for nVidia nv50 (Lenovo T61p)
>BRM wrote:
>> I use it in dual monitor mode regularly with the LCD screen and a DVI
>> screen; but I need to use the VGA port for some presentations now,
>> but...
>>
>> If I plug a monitor into the VGA port, it announces itself via EDID,
>> is picked up, and KDE's Quick Display manager finds it and works.
>> However, I have a projector that doesn't seem announce itself via
>> EDID on its VGA (it's old - Mitsubishi XL1U); so KDE Quick Display
>> manager won't add the VGA-1 as an option to enable. Xorg doesn't see
>> it, so no surprise KDE doesn't either.
>
>I'm not sure if it helps, but have a look at this link:
><https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Resolution#Problem:__Incorrect_Resolution_when_no_EDID_available_such_as_from_old_monitor_or_a_KVM_device>

Not sure, but it's worth a try.

I came across a similar solution, but not written so well, so it wasn't very clear what exactly you were doing with the text, e.g. they didn't say it was a kernel parameter, and talked about KMS mostly.

I'll give it a shot; it might make for a good alternate boot line.

Thx,

Ben