Cron not running

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Tue Jul 30 06:55:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 6:43 AM, Phil <phil_lor at bigpond.com> wrote:
> I cannot get any cron jobs to run. My first guess was that crond has not
> been started but that could be wrong because "sudo start crond" results in
> an "unknown job" error.
>
> So, what could the problem be?

It could be cron not running, but that's quite easy to verify using ps(1).
Then it could a be a path setup in a bad manner to run your scripts.
The easiest way to test if cron is running fine is to place a dummy job like:
 * * * * * echo "Hello World" >> /tmp/hello.txt

and see if the output of the file get increased. If so, then it means
that cron is running and your scripts have a problem either in the
startup (wrong path) or in the logic.

Hope this helps.