Cron not running

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Jul 30 06:04:00 UTC 2013

Phil wrote:
> I cannot get any cron jobs to run. My first guess was that crond has
> not been started but that could be wrong because "sudo start crond"
> results in an "unknown job" error.

Well, the job name should be "cron" and not "crond". Anyway, first I
would check if cron is running with the command

ps ax|grep -v grep|grep cron

There should be two jobs running: cron and anacron. And if cron is
running, it could be a bad line in your crontab. There are two different
types of crontab, i.e. the system wide crontab "/etc/crontab" and
individual crontabs for the users. The difference is that a line in the
system wide crontab has an entry for the user to run the job. But the
individual user crontabs don't have that entry and would take the user
entry as the command to run.

Nils