[13.04 64Bit] - UEFI Installation Problem...

Wes Hardin wes.hardin at maximintegrated.com
Mon Jul 8 15:39:09 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 10:23 AM, Jesse Palser wrote:
> On 7/8/2013 11:19 AM, Wes Hardin wrote:
>> On 07/08/2013 08:18 AM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>>> Hi Jesse,

>>> This is by no means a Kubuntu or even Ubuntu specific problem, but a
>>> general problem with all Free Software operating systems. The only
>>> workaround I know is to disable UEFI and set the BIOS settings to
>>> legacy for the installation.
>>>

>>> Regards, Myriam
>>
>> I had no issues installing 13.04 on my Lenovo T430 with UEFI.
>>
>> As it is a laptop and I'm not trying add any legacy hardware, my goal
>> was completely eliminate any evidence of BIOS or legacy interfaces.
>> If you are trying to support legacy hardware, this may not work for
>> you.  I am also not doing any dual-booting; I cannot comment on how
>> other OSes might like my settings.
>>
>> I set:
>>
>> UEFI Only (a.k.a. no BIOS fallback)
>> Secure Boot Off
>> CSM Support Off
>>
>> If you set all these (or their equivalent) before installing, I think
>> you should be successful.  Trying to set them afterwards is likely to
>> lead to confusion. And if it matters, I installed using the Beta 1 CD.
>>
>> -- Wes
>>
> Hi,
>
> I have "UEFI" enabled and "Secure Boot" disabled.
> But I don't know what "CSM" is?

Compatibility Support Module

The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the firmware that
emulates a BIOS environment; allowing legacy operating systems and some option
ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Compatibility_Support_Module

Like I said, I was hunting for anything related to "legacy" or "compatibility",
or both, so I could disable it.

-- Wes