external HD

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 24 06:12:08 UTC 2013

On 24/01/13 16:29, Errol Sapir wrote:

> On 01/24/2013 03:03 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>> [pruned]

>>> The latter I'm afraid. The front USB's have been out of action for a
>>> while and now it seems to be spreading. I have another phenomena
>>> ONLY happening in Kubuntu - not in Windows but maybe that is because
>>> I use it for short spurts and only when I have no choice like using
>>> Visio which I use for work.
>>> The phenomena is the sudden "freezing" of he computer where nothing
>>> works and the only way to "solve" the problem is to press the
>>> computer button and hold it until the computer shuts down. I then
>>> restart the computer and all works well until the next time. As this
>>> only happens when I'm working on the computer (and not while the
>>> computer is idle) I am deliberating whether it is a hardware or
>>> software problem. My deep suspicions are the something in Kubuntu is
>>> malfunctioning. Maybe people here know about this. I use Kubuntu
>>> 12.10 with all upgrades as they come out.
>>> My computer is quite old. A Gigabyte GA-F8NF motherboard with a AMD
>>> 3500 cpu and 2 giga memory.
>>> Errol
>>

>> My immediate reaction is that you need to check 3 things:
>>
>> 1   RAM  - do a memtest64 and if doesn't show any errors within 20
>> minutes or so then let it run overnight;
>>
>> 2   check if you cpu is overheating - it may be stopping because it
>> has reached a high temp;
>>
>> 3   check your bank account balance re available funds to buy a new
>> mobo or, better still, build a new system (look at Newegg.com for
>> parts) :-) .
>>
>> BTW, the sudden "seizure" of the system is not due to Kubuntu -
>> although it could be the video card....... So, add number 4 to the
>> list above :-) :
>>
>> 4   check condition of video card (and clean the fans etc inside the
>> box to ensure proper air circulation)
>>
>> BC
>>
> I agree with your number 3 suggestion:-, Basil. I am trying to
> persuade the better half that I have "real" need in the computer world.
> It definitely isn't CPU. Could be memory which I'll test or VGA card.
> Thanks for input.

I'll add a couple of comments about what I said above. The first: I
'spoke' [you cannot speak in a text message, right] from experience.

I always (except in one, desperate, case) buy and use Gigabyte
motherboards and always use AMD cpus. I had a 32-bit system for some 7
years with a 3600+ AMD cpu until one day it all stopped working. All
tests showed that it was the mobo - so I went out and bought a pre-loved
replacement which was an ASUS motherboard and which supported the
7+years old AMD cpu. Worked fine - until I decided that it was time for
me to get more RAM (because the ASUS could take up to 3GB of RAM).

Spent the money, got 3x 1GB sticks. Installed them. Fine. Big grin on face.

The only trouble was that the computer would suddenly lock up -
*exactly* what you are saying yours is doing.

To cut a long story short, the problem was that two of the 3 RAM
channels on the ASUS were either "shot" (when I got it or became "shot"
over the 12 months that I had it) and produced RAM errors which, of
course, is what caused my lock-ups. And the way the RAM channels were
arranged to accept RAM I could not get more than 1.5GB of RAM to work
:'( . So, wasted $$$ of RAM (which I now cannot use :-( .)

Last April I looked at my Mastercard balance, bought "She who must be
obeyed" a bunch of flowers - and ordered myself all the parts necessary
to build a new 64-bit system (see my signature line) :-) .

The bottom line here is: how seriously are these lock-ups affecting the
use of your computer (my lock-ups occurred when I had a few apps.
running and when they needed more of the good RAM), and how susceptible
is your "She who has to be obeyed" to a bunch of flowers? :-D .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.0 & kernel 3.7.4-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor