Help - disaster recovery

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 18 04:59:38 UTC 2013

On 18/01/13 13:05, Phil wrote:
> On 18/01/13 07:50, Errol Sapir wrote:
>>

>> Hi Phil
>> Wouldn't it have been cheaper to by a Large Hard drive (many
>> terabytes)?:-)
>
> I'm sure that a large drive will be cheaper but my data is more
> valuable. My backup seems to be recoverable using Photorec but it
> results in tens of thousands of files with names that I cannot relate
> to their original names. I've decided to leave data recovery to the
> experts.

A really expensive way to learn to practice the old, tried and tested
adage, "BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!". (13 years of data, eh?)

(But I also read only a few days ago somewhere - ?here? - where one
person makes a backup of his/her data onto a USB and then puts it in the
glove box of his/her car and calls this "offsite storage" of the backup
of the valuable data. But anyway.......)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.0 & kernel 3.7.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor