Java exploit, the inevitable question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 15 20:26:14 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 15:21:59 Myriam Schweingruber did opine:
Message additions Copyright Tuesday 15 January 2013 by Gene Heskett

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > All this hoorah about disabling Java seems like it should have by now,
> > generated the question of whether or not iced-tea is also vulnerable.
> > Since the 10.04.4 approved version of FF doesn't have the ability to
> > kill it all, we'd have to disable about 20 calls in
> > edit/prefs/applications in order to effect a kill.
> >
> > But I am confused.  FF is saying its using iced tea, but when I look
> > at /etc/alternatives, it all looks like real java?
> >
> > So, do we need to butcher that or ???
>
> Not at all, the exploit is only the the Oracle Java, and only applies
> on Windows systems. And even then, Oracle has already fixed it AFAIK.
>

> Regards, Myriam

Thats good to hear, for this exploit.  But I've also read supposedly
knowledgeable prose since saying that to truly fix java will take at least
2 years because there are as yet undiscovered holes in it.  Of that I have
little doubt, its just that the black hats haven't found them, yet...

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Success is relative: It is what we can make of the mess we have made of
things.
		-- T. S. Eliot, "The Family Reunion"
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...