Help - disaster recovery

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sun Jan 13 06:11:56 UTC 2013

Thank you for reading this,

I have done an incredibly stupid thing after a fresh installation of
Kububtu. Instead of copying my backup files I moved them to the new OS
and due to a second blunder I deleted a KDE file from the new
installation and now I cannot log in and I no longer have a backup. We
suffered a power interruption before I had a chance to make a new backup
plus the temperature has been up 45 degrees C for the past two weeks
which has been very tiring. Losing 13 years of work, e-mails passwords
etc is very destressing to say the least.

After spending most of the day searching Google for an answer I'm no
further advanced and this is where things stand at the moment.

I used photorec in an attempt to cover my backup files from my USB
backup drive. This resulted in two further problems:

1. My internal hard drive (on a second older laptop) is nowhere near
large enough to hold the recovered files. That system also failed to
reboot because my home directory was full - I managed to solved that
problem.

2. The recovered files have nonsense names such as f1234.txt, which can
be almost any type of file and there is likely to be thousands of them.

Using the KDE Partition Manager from the live dvd I found that the file
system is corrupted.

/dev/sda3 ext4 mount point "/media/and a long string of digits" is
readable and seems to be the / directory.

/dev/sda4 extended no mount point - this could include the /home
directory and possibly /usr/local.

Also included under /dev/sda4 is a large unallocated block and
/dev/sda...(can't determine the digit) a FAT32 block which is a second
partition for Vista which is also readable.

Vista seems to be intact but I cannot log in because grub is corrupted.

There should have been three ext4 partitions plus a swap.

Naturally I'm very keen to recover my home directory and any help will
be greatly appreciated. It seems to me that the best option is to
recreate the corrupter partitions on the laptop with the Kubuntu
installation.

Looking forward to receiving some good news.

--
Regards,
Phil