top posting (was Audio/Video Problems)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 07:21:22 UTC 2013

On 06/01/2013 04:35, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Saturday, January 05, 2013 06:03:24 PM David Lang wrote:
>> As someone who has only been subscribed here a few months, I'll say that
>> this attitude really bothers me.
>>
>> Driving people away, and being glad to see them go over something as trivial
>> as top vs bottom posting seems like the wrong thing to do.
>>
>> I missed the initial post, so I don't know how agressive the initial
>> exchange was, but I'm actually more bothered by the number of people
>> posting that they are glad to see people leave over this issue than
>> anything else.
>>
>> Do you _really_ have so many people providing assistance, and so many users
>> that you would rather have anyone who ever top posts go away and use
>> something else rather than just answering their question (for a first time
>> poster) or asking them to switch?
>>
>> David Lang
>
> Please do not be mistaken, this is a friendly list, just once in a great while
> a button gets pushed and a few people get a bit bent out of shape for a short
> bit (on either side) over a mere helpful suggestion.
>
> Do you see many posts being criticized? If you look at the list archives, you
> will have to spend some time looking for them......
>
> Again, please do not let this very rare occurrence let you down or discourage
> your participation in this list.

My dear friends, can we cool tempers a bit please?

personally I do not care if you post top, bottom or "quote"-style. We
try to help as best we can, even if a person sometimes may be a
newcomer, may not have the best written English or do not adequately
describe the details of their problems.

So why, oh why, is this "how do I format my mail" so extremely important
that some are willing to leave the community, others that I know as
helpful suddenly post rude emails and we find ourselves fighting over...
what?

Please, everyone post to their own liking. Those who do not want to read
an email if they think the way it was formatted is wrong, then don't.

Very kind regards from a rainy country
Sinclair