Audio/Video Problems

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 18:30:12 UTC 2013

On 3 Jan 2013, at 18:20, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I guess what I wanted to say was that for some uses, the latest and
> greatest, because its real world performance sucks dead toads thru soda
> straws, is a disaster.

Couldn't agree more Gene :) I use Linux for music production (occasionally) and need hard real-time performance. Things have been getting steadily worse since 10.10 and the latest release is completely useless to me. (Audio latency minimum I can get is 200ms, as opposed to 5ms with 10.10).

However I don't think (K)Ubuntu are to blame for this, it's entirely in the hands of the kernel developers and Linus himself has no interest in realtime.

Mark