Audio/Video Problems

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:42:39 UTC 2013

On 3 Jan 2013, at 12:20, Bill vance wrote:

> Howdy folks;
>
> I'm running a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04 on an i386 machine, and
> have downloaded most
> of the Medibuntu progs, and I'm still experiencing some wierd
> audio/video problems.
>
> 1.   With both files and DVDs, The videos stay as they first appear,
> and then every second or
>      two, they twitch a little, about a quarter inch or so instead of
> flowing smoothly, as they
>      should.

What are you using to play them back? Does sound flow smoothly or is that also jumpy?
Have you tried other players - VLC is usually the best, or SMPlayer?
It sounds like a sync problem - the player is trying to sync the audio with the video and isn't getting the clock information it needs. This could be a video driver issue or it could be related to your sound card issue. Trying VLC or SMPlayer will determine whether it is a Phonon issue or not. I suspect it probably is.

> 2.   I have an Aoundblaster AWE-16 sound card, and an internal, (on
> the motherboard),
>      sound interface that has never been hooked up to anything, and
> never will be.  When I
>      reboot, this little window appears in the lower left corner of
> the screen, announcing that
>      it's switched from the sound card to the motherboard interface,
> and do I want to switch
>      back?
>
> 3.   Just now when I re-booted, a large window opened up, announcing
> that a long list of
>      sound devices, (inputs, outputs, and etc.), have been removed,
> and do I want kubuntu
>      to forget about them?

This appears to be normal behaviour when you have multiple sound cards. When I say 'normal' I mean 'that's the way it (mis)behaves for everybody'. If you can disable the onboard sound card in the BIOS that is the best way to avoid problems like this until they fix Phonon (or perhaps it's pulse audio) so it works properly. What might be happening is that it is trying to play the login sound but is doing so before some part of the audio system is ready, so it doesn't detect the sound blaster and thinks it has gone away. Try disabling the login sound so the system has more time to ready itself before Phonon tries to do anything. I had the same issues when I had two sound cards installed.

> 4.   Nothings working with youtube.  How do I get a version of flash
> that works, and what
>      does it need for setups?

There appear to be two ways to install flash. There is a package in the 'partner' repository called 'adobe-flashplugin' and one in 'multiverse' called 'flashplugin-installer'. I'm using the second one and it's working fine for me, although they both seem to install the same version. Shouldn't need anything for setup. It does struggle on i386 systems though, these days the 64 bit version actually seems to work a lot better. You don't say which browser you're using either, if it's Rekonq then you should install a better one - either Chromium of Firefox.

Mark