Ati HD7800 and Ubuntu 12.10

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:10:59 UTC 2013

On 26/02/2013 18:06, Dennis Linux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After installing fglrx by the manual 'Howto' the screen runs in low
> graphic mode.
> The driver doesn't work with the Intel notebook and the Radeon graphics.
> Is there a better solution to install the ati graphics on a notebook?
>
> Regards, Dennis
>
>  > Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:13:18 +0700
>  > Subject: Re: Ati HD7800 and Ubuntu 12.10
>  > From: d.kuntadi at gmail.com
>  > To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>  >
>  > On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Dennis Linux <frankie-1 at hotmail.nl>
> wrote:
>  >
>  > > I installed the fglrx drivers and that didn't work at all, no screen.
>  > > Does anyone know to let the ati card work?
>  >
>  > Have you tried all below options? Use command line version if X
>  > windows fail to start.
>  >
>  > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI
>  >
>  > DK
If you have a "hybrid" computer (intel + ATI) you might as well give up.
Since 11.04 mine is not working either with AMD drivers or the Radeon.

To make it worse I can switch on or off via BIOS on this machine.

I have resorted to simply switching off the ATI card on boot as
otherwise my laptop overheats and eats the battery alive.

Note my card is HD5400