Where is it?

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Wed Aug 28 10:00:22 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 06:58:06 AM kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, Clay Weber wrote:

> >> I'm trying to put together a proper mounting line in
> >> fstab or mtab, (wherever it's supposed to be), for my
> >> CD/DVD drives. The info used to be just about everywhere,
> >> but now I can't even seem to find it online.
> >>
> >> So it's something in lib/udev now?
> >>
> >> Bill
> >>
> >> --8323329-1366304756-1377617086=:19879--
> >
> > Define 'proper moutning line".
>
> One that works properly, without any hassels.
>
> > As I think I understand it, optical drives are not actually mounted until
> > media is inserted. Then the device is mounted with proper user
> > permissions,
> > etc as needed.
>
> Unless it isn't found because nothings been burned onto it
> yet.
>

> /lib/udev/rules.d is one place where the criteria for devices
>
> > and actions are defined.
>
> Actually, I found the contents of these files to be so
> arcane, that they were completely unhelpfull.
>
> > I am not sure but I don't see why you could not create an fstab entry for
> > your optical drive if you wanted. It has been quite a while since
> > mounting and accessing these without being root/using sudo was a hassle,
> > which may be why it is hard searching for information.
> >
> > If you insert a disk and run the "mount" command, you will be able to see
> > how it is mounted, then try creating an fstab entry based on the
> > information seen there.
>
> I did that, but it didn't work. I even put in a movie DVD,
> and ran smplayer, but still no fstab/mtab entry.
>
> Bill
here is what the mount command shows me , before inserting a disk:

lark at lark-Latitude-D630:~$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
/dev/sda6 on /home type ext4 (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

and then after inserting a cd and opening it with dolphin:

lark at lark-Latitude-D630:~$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
/dev/sda6 on /home type ext4 (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sr0 on /media/lark/ACRONIS type iso9660
(ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500,uhelper=udisks2)

There won't be an actual fstab entry unless you create one as it is mounted on
the fly.
--
Clay Weber (claydoh)
http://kubuntuforums.net