Can't write to USB stick without sudo

theuteck at gmail.com theuteck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 15:21:10 UTC 2013

When you stick in the USB, does it get mounted in /media?
What are the permissions of the folder after it is inserted?
It sounds like you made it owned by root.

For my USB named bil, it has 2 folders, 1 is owned by root and the other is
owned by me.  Normally you don't have root own folders on removable media
since you get problems like you are having.

ls -l /media/bil/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 May  2  2012 casper-rw
drwx------ 17 bil  bil  8192 Dec 31  1969 MULTIBOOT