KDE start troubles

Glenn Holmer shadowm at lyonlabs.org
Fri Aug 16 23:35:05 UTC 2013

On 08/14/2013 10:46 AM, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> When I first log in, the panel is mostly non-responsive.  I can
> mouse-over the icons and they will highlight, but clicking on them
> doesn't do anything.  I can't even get the K menu to appear.

Well, I finally spent some quality time with Mr Google, and here's what
worked for me. It was [expletive deleted] Nepomuk.

In Settings / System Settings, click "Desktop Search". I had Nepomuk
turned off, but some disabled checkboxes were still selected. Select the
first checkbox, then deselect the others, then deselect the first one
again. Also make sure that all the checkboxes on the "Indexing" tab are
deselected.

I did this on both desktop machines, then cold-booted them both several
times to make sure. When the KDE desktop appears, the K menu is
immediately responsive.

Nepomuk must die! die! die!

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)