Something the update-manager installed has a huge memory leak

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 17 15:54:13 UTC 2013

Greetings;

A 10.04-4 LTS user here stuck on kernel 2.6.32 in the rtai flavor because I
use linuxcnc to run machine tools, a lathe and a 4 axis mill.

Normally, it takes a couple of weeks for this machine to get dodgy because
its 500+ megs into swap, so my normal reboot period is 2 to 3 weeks.

I rebooted late yesterday & didn't do anything worse than a little
solitaire after that, went to bed.  By the time I get up, the machine is
extremely unresponsive with the update-managers screen sitting on top of
kmail.  No response to clicking on any buttons.  Click on the workspace
where I keep a terminal running, and start htop.  In 7 hours of uptime I am
469 megs into swap!

Back to the kmail workspace, click on the install button quite a few times,
and it finally wakes up and does this mornings updates.  Then I reboot.
And I haven't started about 5 more 'tails' I usually have running, but on a
machine with 4Gb of dram, at 1h:36m into this new reboot, I am already 1
megabyte into swap, something that normally takes 3 or 4 days.

Anybody have any clues as to what the update-manager has installed on
10.04-4 LTS in the last 2-3 days that has a huge leak?

Full powerdown reboot, coming right up, but this is to get rid of virtuoso-
t, whatever the hell that is.

Thanks for any solution to this.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Croll's Query:
	If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million
          law-abiding citizens.