Upgrade ones graphics drivs

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 17 10:51:30 UTC 2013

On 17/04/13 20:09, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>> For example, a couple of days ago my kernel was upgraded to 3.8.7-1
>> and as a result I had to recompile the latest nVidia driver, 310.44,
>> to match it. It took me all of some 3 minutes to be up and running
>> again with the recompiled driver.
> Don't you have dkms? When I was playing with the latest driver from the
> nvidia site it offered to register with dkms which would mean that you
> don't have to manually recompile the nvidia module but it is done
> automatically when you install a new kernel.

I do have dkms but I don't have it installed.

I have never had it installed, and have never heard of it :-) .

Are you suggesting that I ought to install it and break a habit of many
years of compiling the driver manually? :-)

If your answer is YES then I shall do so without hesitation.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.2 & kernel 3.8.7-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor