problems with 13.4 and multiple monitors AND PROPRIETARY DRIVERS

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 11:23:27 UTC 2013

On 10/04/2013 11:28, Ole-Erik wrote:
> All
>

> I'll like to add add this newbie question to this driver
> discussion:
>

> May anybody help us finding relevant drivers to use the
> wifi-internet, or another forum that is more relevant? Or ask
> anybody to help us/Kubuntu?
>

> We have
>
> - HP Pavilion 6618 eo (Serial numbe, CNF7455M93, product number
> KA039EA) and
>
> - ASUS EEE PC 1000H Black 10" WXGA
>

> We regularly update to newer stable versions. We do'nt find WIFI or
> the relevant drives and therefore cannot connect to the net away
> from home or check our home wifi.
>

> Lacking the right proprietary drives, we have installed the
> recommendations from Medibuntu.
>

> It would not be nice to have to reinstall Microsoft, which both
> were installed when bought our laptops, or have to by new gadgets
> just for travelling.
>

> Both work excellent with cables. Especially in China, where they
> only have cable connection at least between Chingqong and Shanghai,
> a Yangtze river cruise included. And they let no Google through, or
> our national Norwegian broadcaster (NRK) but Yahoo popped up
> everywhere!
>

> Yours
>

> Ingrid and Ole-Erik Yrvin

I think perhaps it would be better if you asked this as a new mail but
here goes:
I tried to look up the HP specs but they do not mention the brand of
wireless hardware. However we can assume it is NOT Intel that normally
works "out of the box" with Kubuntu.

I would try running the "additional drivers" found in the app menu
under "System" headline. Be connected with a cable to internet while
doing so and chances are good that a driver is found and installed.

For the Asus EEE 1000 I have installed Kubuntu with no problems
regarding wireless but try the above method. If that does not work try
www.kubuntuforums.net and see if anyone there has information. Or for
that matter www.ubuntuforums.org where I think there is a special
forum for Asus EEE netbooks.

Kind regards,