upgrade k10.10 to k12.04 from live cd

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Sep 1 07:43:02 UTC 2012

ray burke wrote:
> At the moment I  have my other sata 500gb (4 partition) disk
> disconnected, of which
> one 116gb part is xp pro sp3 at address on /dev/sdb5.

Well, if the disk isn't connected, obviously the update-grub script
can't find it and add it to the menu. I think you should first connect
the disk before you proceed.

> it was showing with my dual booted xp pro sp3 and k10.10 in grub 1.98
> address as windows NT/2000/XP (on /dev/sdb5), so how can I create a
> grub showing my 2 disk with xp pro like in the grub 1.98, or can I
> create grub 1.98?

What do you mean with "create grub 1.98"?

Anyway, like I wrote already, it might work if you append these lines to
the file "/etc/grub.d/40_custom":

menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP (on /dev/sdb5)" {
        set root=(hd1,5)
        chainloader +1
}

Then, with the disk sdb connected, run the command

sudo update-grub

and reboot. If that doesn't work as expected, please let us know what
happens.

Nils