Disks package

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Wed Oct 31 17:11:21 UTC 2012

On 31/10/12 15:44, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb at hbsys.plus.com> wrote:
>> On 30/10/12 21:15, Mike Adams wrote:
>>>

>>> On 30/10/2012 20:23, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>>>   > O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Mike. That solved my problem, although I remain puzzled as to why
>> the utility doesn't appear in the repositories via Synaptic, from whence I
>> initially installed it in 12.04.
>
> You could not find it as the package name is not disks, but
> gnome-disk-utility. so you should have maybe searched with disk*, that
> at least does show up here with "apt-cache search" and "aptitude
> search", although buried in a big pile of other packages.

Yes, I found it once you pointed out the "gnome" prefix. As a KDE
aficionado I wasn't looking for a gnome connotation. ;-)

> FWIW: it does nothing more than the partition manager in KDE's System
> Settings (actually, even less),

Not quite. There's very little hardware information - as would be
expected in a partitioning tool.

> and there is a much nicer tool for KDE
> that shows you the disk usage in a graphical view: filelight

but only for the currently in use disk, unless I missed something during
a quick examination and again, it's file system orientated, not
hardware, but thanks for the pointers.

Peter HB.