How to get back an an up-to-date, open source WYSIWYG webeditor in the regular *Ubuntu repository?! (Was: Urgent. How to get Kompozer or alternative for Kubuntu 12.10???!!!)

Guus Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 30 09:29:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 01:07:50 +0100
"Bas Roufs -En." <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everybody
>
> Thanks for the overwhelming response to my question in a previous thread:
> >  Urgent. How to get Kompozer or alternative for Kubuntu 12.10???!!!

<snip>

> However, on the longer run, a more structural solution is essential:
> + a completely open sourced version of BlueGriffon or fork from it, or...;
> + a completely updated, rewritten version of Kompozer or....;
> + a revised/ updated version of Seamonkey, with it's web editor
> + a completely updated version of Quanta Plus, or ......;
> + any other solution suiting in the newest versions of *Ubuntu and KDE.
>
> That's why I reformulate my question as follows:
>
> How to get back an  an up-to-date, open source  WYSIWYG webeditor in the
> regular *Ubuntu repository?!

Hey Bas,

I am not sure whether you are a designer or a web application programmer, so
you might have a different perspective.

From my perspective it looks like the whole scene of web application building,
including presentation is undergoing fundamental change. Starting with Ajax,
HTML5 and CSS3, I expect some of the old tools to clear and new tools to start
erupting. You just hit a spot in time when the old has already gone and died
and the new is just too young for production.

I was used to doing all coding by hand spawning html and css the way I want it
to be, so I am accustomed to using bluefish or even vim for html.

Recently I found that Netbeans is going to have support for html and css and
probably so will eclipse. These tools are aimed at developers though, so I am
not sure how useful they will be for you, when they are production ready.

Do you think you could go by a temporary solution like bluefish or even
bluegriffon until the new tools have matured enough for you to use them?

Guus.