100 hz tv and radeon

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Fri Oct 26 02:46:14 UTC 2012

On Friday, October 26, 2012 03:02:09 AM Dennis Linux wrote:

Hello all,

I use the open radeon with a Ati Radoen 9200 to a 100 hz tv with s-
video.
Why can Ubuntu see only 60 hz instead of the 100 hz?
Windows did see 100 hz, why can't see Ubuntu the 100 hz?
The Radeon should do a better job than the official ati drivers.
I would like the 100 hz or i go back to Windhoos.

Regards, Nicole

A number of issues are likely at play here.

1) Many TVs do not report EDID monitor information over the s-video, or the
data is not able to be properly read by Xorg.

2) Ati do NOT provide a proprietary Linux driver for your older card.

3) The open source "ati" and "radeon" drivers are official Linux drivers, but
are created without full, in-depth hardware data to go by.

I think #1 is the prime problem, but it may be solvable, using some research
and other command line tools, unfortunately.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/80720/unable-to-add-100hz-output-with-xrandr
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Xrandr_Graphical_Front_End_GUI
A note on the last link, it does not mention the KDE tool, krandrtray, which
can be used to switch between different modes and outputs once you have added
and tested 100hz modes.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net