where does firefox running on kubuntu get the recently used list in it's file picker

Jason Paul Joines jason at joines.org
Mon Oct 22 06:07:01 UTC 2012

    I'm using Kubuntu 12.04.1 and Firefox 16.0.1
(16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1).  The problem I'm having is actually
with Zotero Standalone 3.0.8.  When attaching a file to a Zotero library
item, it brings up the exact same file picker as that used by Firefox to
open a file.  In Firefox, the dialog defaults to the last directory I
opened a file from.  However, in Zotero it defaults to a list of
"Recently Used" files which is causing me about 100 annoying extra
clicks per day.

    I discovered that Zotero uses the same file picker as Firefox,
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/25837/attach-link-to-file-file-picker,
it's just not defaulting to the last used directory.  The file picker is
not the native Firefox picker.  If I set the Firefox preference
ui.allow_platform_file_picker = false, a completely different file
picker is used by Firefox.

    So it seems Zotero ss getting this particular file picker from
Kubuntu just like Firefox and it seems I need to know how it does this
in order to figure out how to fix the problem.  Any idea how Firefox
gets this file picker from Kubuntu?

Jason