black screen(solved)

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 12 12:53:28 UTC 2012

On 12/10/12 22:57, Errol Sapir wrote:

> On 10/11/2012 06:01 PM, Errol Sapir wrote:
>>

>> On 10/11/2012 04:44 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
[.........]

>>> It would be very nice if you did not top-post.....
>>>
>>> Then I suggest that you rename  /.kde4 directory in your home to, say,
>>> /.kde4-old so that it is recreated when you reboot and login again.
>>>
>>> BTW, which video card are you using and do you have the latest driver
>>> for it installed (and I don't mean the nouveau, default, driver if you
>>> have a nVidia card)?
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> Sorry about the top posting. I never remember which forums want top and
>> which want bottom.
>> I have an external card and I don't know if the drivers are the latest.
>> I'll look into it. I'll also try the /.KDE-old and report back. Thanks
>> for the advice.
>> Errol
>>
> Basil Thanks! Your suggestion to build a new KDE directory solved the
> problem. The gui is working fine, a few tweaks to get my desktop back
> to what it was and I'm away.
> Thanks all who gave advice as well.
> Errol

Great! All now working (apart from the obvious tweaks following the
creation of the new directory).

BTW, another tip: when upgrading to a new version of a distro, do not
use the old /home - it will contain baggage which you do not want in the
new install. Make a backup of /home to another HD and then only copy
across to the new install those directories which you cannot do without
- eg, Documents, Pictures, Video, whatever.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.2 & kernel 3.6.1.2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor