black screen

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 11 14:44:47 UTC 2012

On 11/10/12 10:37, Errol Sapir wrote:
> Tried that to no avail. I think the problem is one of the settings of
> the desktop because if I go into "repair" mode and then go to command
> line and type startx, the gui desktop comes up. It isn't "my" desktop,
> just an empty plain gui KDE desktop. When login in "normally" the
> desktop starts to appear after typing my password and then goes black.
> It is though a black cover has been formed over the desktop because
> all the programs work with ALT/F2 and the typing the name of the
> program. All this time the mouse curser is visible and is movable but
> clicking anywhere on the screen does nothing until I use ALT/F2 and
> then I can type in the name of any program and click on the list that
> appears to operate the program. The mouse and keyboard work perfectly
> on any program opened.
> There is also no panel visible at any time and if I minimize a program
> it disappears "under" the black screen.
> Errol
>
> On 10/10/2012 02:22 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 10/10/12 10:57, Errol Sapir wrote:
>>> Thanks for the info utek and Miriam. I tried that but that doesn't
>>> seem to be the problem. The plasma-desktop goes black when logging in.
>>> Black (with nothing else visible on the screen) seem to have become
>>> the default colour, "covering" everything on the old desktop. I have
>>> gone into display and changed themes to no avail.
>>> As I said I can operate anything from "run", including settings, and
>>> basically any program I type in. They all come up as they did before
>>> this problem arose.
>> [...........]
>>
>>   When logging in, before typing in your password, click on the
>> 'spanner' tool and select plasma desktop and then finish logging in.
>> There is a quirk which fails to start the plasma desktop when you have
>> upgraded KDE but after you do what I just suggested the problem
>> disappears.
>>
>> BC

It would be very nice if you did not top-post.....

Then I suggest that you rename  /.kde4 directory in your home to, say,
/.kde4-old so that it is recreated when you reboot and login again.

BTW, which video card are you using and do you have the latest driver
for it installed (and I don't mean the nouveau, default, driver if you
have a nVidia card)?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.2 & kernel 3.6.1.1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor