Update to the Community

Steve Riley stvrly at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:14:28 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-30 17:01:18 Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> So concerned you are about it that you then go ahead and quote in full
> not only the original post but also the reply to it in HTML format!

The following is not directed to any one person specifically.

People have different online habits. Those who began their Internet journey
adopted one set of habits, largely informed by the norms of the then-popular
Usenet community. Some of these habits probably had to do with the limited
storage space and narrow bandwidth of the times. Contributors to email and
news threads parsed messages, carefully pruning and grafting elements so that
only the necessary parts were carried through to maintain the conversation
flow.

Other people began their Internet journey differently. Mostly, these folk
initially gained their computer experience using internal corporate systems,
where storage and bandwidth were less of a concern. The tools themselves
(yeah, I mean Outlook and Notes) adopted a different pattern. Top-posting and
reply-all was (and is) useful in corporate settings. The ability to apply text
formatting is also useful. Naturally, these people brought their behavior to
the Internet when corporate networks and the Internet converged.

Personally, I straddle both worlds. But I don't think it's right to expect
everyone to do that. Kvetching on lists about the "proper" way to format
messages is likely not to result in the desired behavior changes. In fact, it
comes across as elitist and alienating.

If Windows 8 turns out to be the disaster that the prognosticators appear
convinced it will be, a certain percentage of Windows exiles might find their
way to Kubuntu. Some of these might also find their way to this email list.
They will bring with them habits gained from years of doing things the Windows
way. Are these habits in some manner wrong? No, of course not. They're just
different. We, then, are faced with a choice: we can either welcome them to the
wonderful world that is community-driven free software, or we can drive them
away. Let's not drive them away.

...Steve Riley
...administrator, Kubuntu Forums