Update to the Community

David Wonderly david.wonderly at kubuntu.org
Mon May 28 23:14:11 UTC 2012

Hey everyone.

I know that it has been a while since I have made any updates to you guys.

Earlier this month, developer Jonathan Riddle and I were both at UDS (Ubuntu
Developer Summit) and during that time we had a meeting with Canonical about
the trademark. While not all of the paperwork is signed or finalized just yet,
I wanted to update everyone on what happened and where we are at in this
Trademark thing.

For starters, I know that there has been a lot of talk about changing the name
of Kubuntu. As of right now there are plans to change the name. Any name
change talks were to prepare for a worst case scenario. Seeing how well the
talks went with Canonical, I cannot see any reasons we would change our name.

Another thing I want address and make very clear is the role Blue Systems is
playing in Kubuntu.

Blue Systems is a small company that is paying people to develop key pieces of
the KDE ecosphere. This means that their role is a monetary role. They are
helping to sponsor the development of Kubuntu with the hiring of Jonathan
Riddell. Kubuntu is still sponsored by Canonical as well.

Now I can hear everyone now, "But didn't they drop sponsorship of Kubuntu that
started this whole thing?"

Sort of.

What Canonical dropped was COMMERCIAL support of Kubuntu. This means that
companies can no longer buy paid support from Canonical for Kubuntu. It means
that Jonathan Riddell was going to be reassigned within the Desktop Team at
Canonical. And lastly, it means that Canonical will no longer be making Swag
or Pressed CDs for Kubuntu.

Canonical still pays for a lot in Kubuntu. The hosting of code and providing
the infastructer that we have, provides the iso spinning services, QA tools,
sponsorships to UDS, Trakemark fees for 33 countries for the name Kubuntu (not
just under the *buntu protection but, full on Kubuntu) and lastly, the legal
protection for all of this.

So as you can see, our relationship has not chnaged all that much within the
Kubuntu/Canonical relations. Yes, there has been some changes but, there are
benifits to the changing as well and I firmly believe that the benifits
greatly outweigh anything else.

There are talks about Kubuntu being able to create a non profit foundation to
become a legal entity. This will allow the Kubuntu council to push Kubuntu to
new heighths and also allow us to do a few very important things. it will
allow us to build a Kubuntu store and it will also allow us to take donations,
money to be placed in a budget and receive finactial support.

>From a developers view, we are moving from the msin repositories and inti
universe. This will give us more freedom of what we can include into our
distro.

Overall, I think we can all see how much better and stronger we can be when
this is all said and done. Working together, I am beyond confident that not
only can we make Kubuntu the best KDE distro on the planet but, we can put
Kubuntu on the map in very large ways.

Another amazing thing that happened is that Kubuntu was given an HUGE
opportunity to push Kubuntu Active (KDE Plasma Active for tablet) onto actual
tablet hardware.

ZaReason is a company here in the US that builds and ships computers with
Linux, Ubuntu and distros, preinstalled. Later this year, they will be selling
the ZaTab. It's a tablet with the same size and feel of the iPad2. It already
will be shipping with CyanogenMod 9 on it. Well, we were given a couple of
these tablets to development reasons so that we can also give them the option
to ship Kubuntu Active 12.10 on them at the end of the year. This is very very
exciting for us as it moves us ahead in the tablet ready distros.

If you have any questions please, feel free to ask them.

Cheers all!

Dave