Printer Problem

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun May 20 06:27:45 UTC 2012

On 05/20/2012 01:54 AM, Waleed Hamra wrote:
> On 05/19/2012 10:53 PM, Bill Vance wrote:
>> Howdy folks;
>>
>> Ok, running 10.04 with a relatively new, "HP Officejet
>> 6500A Plus."  I'm trying to print out a huge-mongous
>> file.  For the curious, its the, "StdLib Reference
>> Manual", for the HLA Assembler.  The stack of paper is
>> allready well over 4 inches tall.  I can handle it when
>> it runs out of paper, as the printer is rather well
>> behaved about pausing for that.  Whats getting my goat
>> is when the cartridge starts running out of ink, its
>> rather difficult to be right on top of it, as it very
>> slowly fades out to finally blank pages.  I have a 1/2"
>> stack of now useless paper left over from the last time.
>>
>> Ok, so here's the question.  Does kde, (or anything
>> else for that matter), have a printer util that can
>> cause a printer to pause in the middle of a print job,
>> and then let you back up in the file to before things
>> started getting flakey, and restart the print job from
>> there?  After I've changed the ink cartridge during
>> the pause, that is.
>>
>> It seems to me that swaping out ribbons and cartridges
>> etc. would be such a common place sort of thing, that
>> someone somewhere would have created something like
>> that, but who/what/where?
>>
> not sure i know of any way, but how about pulling the paper out? that'll
> cause it to pause. if it has a drawer, or some sort of door, most
> printers will pause if you open them, and display a warning asking you
> to close the door back.
> of course, this is assuming you're beside the printer, and watching when
> things start getting flakey.
It would seem that most times you would be printing from a pdf
(or if not, you might be able to create one from whatever text you
do have) and to print pdfs, you always have the opportunity to
print a selected group of pages, so you could print, say 50 pages,
look at the output, and then start at page 51, and so on to continue.
That way you wouldn't have to baby-sit the printer, you could go and
have lunch or something, and look at the output at your convenience.

Not ideal, but better than nothing.

--doug