Printer Problem

Bill Vance kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org
Sat May 19 19:53:09 UTC 2012

Howdy folks;

Ok, running 10.04 with a relatively new, "HP Officejet
6500A Plus."  I'm trying to print out a huge-mongous
file.  For the curious, its the, "StdLib Reference
Manual", for the HLA Assembler.  The stack of paper is
allready well over 4 inches tall.  I can handle it when
it runs out of paper, as the printer is rather well
behaved about pausing for that.  Whats getting my goat
is when the cartridge starts running out of ink, its
rather difficult to be right on top of it, as it very
slowly fades out to finally blank pages.  I have a 1/2"
stack of now useless paper left over from the last time.

Ok, so here's the question.  Does kde, (or anything
else for that matter), have a printer util that can
cause a printer to pause in the middle of a print job,
and then let you back up in the file to before things
started getting flakey, and restart the print job from
there?  After I've changed the ink cartridge during
the pause, that is.

It seems to me that swaping out ribbons and cartridges
etc. would be such a common place sort of thing, that
someone somewhere would have created something like
that, but who/what/where?

Bill