Issue 1 with Precise

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed May 16 12:37:53 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have an HP laptop with so-called switchable graphics. One part is
Intel "lean" card and one is ATI Mobile HD 5450.

I am now on Precise 12.04 AMD64

There is supposedly 2 ways to shift between the Intel and the ATI cards:
either via something called vgaswitcheroo or by installing the
proprietary AMD drivers "fglrx", either from Ubuntu repos or from AMD
drivers site.

The "switcheroo" solution works so-so, I can switch off the
powerconsuming ATI card and rely on my Intel card. Have never really
managed to switch the other way however.

With AMD drivers it worked in 11.04 this worked and in 11.10 with
pae-kernel. You switch drivers and reboot (possibly restart x would be
enough) and it is OK until you switch back.

Since I tried with 64-bit version this has stopped working. The AMD
driver seem to install but once you try to config x.org you run into
various issues. The most persistent saying:
PowerXpress: '/usr/lib64/fglrx' must not be writable by group or others

I have googled (well startpage actually) and read forums and bugreports
but nothing works.

Anyone using a similar combo on Precise AMD64 and got the ATI fgrlx
drivers working?

Am seriously considering revering to pae-kernel (have "only" 4Gb RAM so
should not really make a huge difference).

kind regards
Sinclair