Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun May 13 06:02:36 UTC 2012


On 13/05/12 07:45, ray burke wrote:
> Sinclair,
>
> well how do you think I can fix  my problem?
If you want to upgrade Firefox but stay on 10.10 I recommend you check 
Firefox download for linux and try install the latest version.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html

there are numerous how-to regarding installation, here is one:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux


>
> ray
>
> On 5/12/12, O. Sinclair<o.sinclair at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/05/12 09:09, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> On 12/05/12 16:15, O. Sinclair wrote:
>>>> On 12/05/12 07:57, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>>>> On 12/05/12 07:43, ray burke wrote:
>>>>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>>>>> From: ray burke<rayburke30 at gmail.com>
>>>>>> Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 06:39:18 +1000
>>>>>> Subject: re update firefox 9 to 11
>>>>>> To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Can anyone help please-
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I the other day update thru kpackagekit in my k 10.10 firefox 11, but
>>>>>> after i rebooted and started ff11 when
>>>>>> i went online it kept crashing ,and sent a report, then tried 11
>>>>>> attempts but still crashed, so I clonned back to my
>>>>>> k10.10mm backup which was clonned on 23/4/12, and again using ff9, so
>>>>>> how do I stop it updating to ff11,
>>>>>> showing within my kpakagekit? see attached
>>>>>
>>>>> Ray,
>>>>>
>>>>> If I read what you say above correctly, you are still using v10.10 of
>>>>> Kubuntu, right?
>>>>>
>>>>> If so then you ought to know that support by Canonical for 10.10
>>>>> stopped
>>>>> in April - and it is now May. (You would have received and e-mail
>>>>> advising you about the EOL of 10.10 some time ago.)
>>>>>
>>>>> You should be upgrading to at least the next version of Kubuntu, which
>>>>> is 11.04 - but keep it mind that this 11.04 will reach EOL (End Of
>>>>> Life)
>>>>> this coming October - ie, in 5 months time.
>>>>>
>>>>> You should also know that Firefox is now currently at version 12
>>>>> (officially - but unofficially at v15 if you use the knightly builds).
>>>>> The upgrades since v9 which you are running contain many fixes
>>>>> including
>>>>> security fixes.
>>>>>
>>>>> Therefore you would be wise to upgrade your Kubuntu which would also
>>>>> upgrade your Firefox.
>>>>>
>>>>> BC
>>>>>
>>>> Wise or not wise could depend on hardware and other issues. In my
>>>> experience older hardware do better with older versions of linux. That
>>>> has actually been confirmed by tests done by Phoronix where "sandy
>>>> bridge" et al do better with 12.04 but hardware older than that do
>>>> better with 10.10.
>>>>
>>>> So I would say (and I live by this rule myself): don't upgrade what
>>>> works for the user. I have 3 laptops in the house and there is no
>>>> question about it: the older ones run happier on older releases. The
>>>> newest will not even work (graphic driver issues) on anything older
>>>> than 11.04.
>>>>
>>>> Just a word on "it is always better to upgrade". Nope it aint,
>>>> upgrades can break working software/hardware relations. Linux may be
>>>> brilliant but regressions are not exactly uncommon.
>>>
>>> Until just a few weeks ago - when I built for myself a new 64-bit system
>>> - I was using a 32-bit system which I built ~7 years ago.
>>>
>>> In that period I have used/installed quite a number of Linux distros and
>>> have never really had any hassles with any of them. Sure, when trying
>>> out some beta, or something earlier, then I could get into a hassle - as
>>> expected when you dealing with something like a beta - but nothing was
>>> ever "fatal"; annoying yes, but not "fatal".
>>>
>>> Perhaps it could be said that for some 7 years I led a 'magical' life
>>> with little problems re Linux software - ESPECIALLY as I am a
>>> "always-keeping-up-to-date" freak. If it is the latest, I will install
>>> it.
>>>
>>> While you are correct in saying that, "If it ain't broke don't fix it",
>>> you surely have to acknowledge that when a system is declared as no
>>> longer supported and that some application has been upgraded because of
>>> security (and other) reasons then it is time to "move with the times"
>>> and install the latest software?
>>>
>>> Or are you happy to argue that running Kubuntu version 5.04 is quite
>>> acceptable? Or having Windows 3.1.1 still acceptable to run by those who
>>> are MS zealots?
>>>
>>> The OP said that he is running Kubuntu 10.10 which has now reached its
>>> EOL. He is also using Firefox 9 (latest version 12, with 15.0.x being
>>> tested). And with this combination he is having problems.
>>>
>>> He may be having hassles because what he tried to update did not agree
>>> with the now unsupported Kubuntu 10.10. I don't really know, but it is a
>>> possibility.
>>>
>>> To find which is the case he should upgrade from Kubuntu 10.10 - and see
>>> if his system cannot handle it; in which case he can then decide why
>>> this is so and ask questions about how to go about solving his problem.
>>> I say this because I don't believe that Ray can be using such an ancient
>>> computer which could not handle something like Kubuntu v 11.04 at least.
>>> If it now handling 10.10 then it can handle 11.04.
>>>
>>
>> this is kind of a philosophical discussion but for starters the Windows
>> 3.1 can not be compared to *buntu 10.10. It is more than 10 years
>> between them. However, if I still had a 80286 pc somewhere I would not
>> throw anything newer than w95 at it.
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3ODQ
>> states what I am hinting at. For "older" computers (in this case more
>> than 2 years) you are better off with older versions of the distro. I
>> have a Dell Inspiron 6400 that runs slick on 10.10 and get various
>> graphic driver issues with newer distros. I currently own a HP laptop
>> that can not be used with anything older than 11.04 due to hardware
>> (again the bloody graphics) issues.
>>
>> Security is only one part of the formula. Any linux distro is better
>> than most version of Windows at whatever age. Updating to later versions
>> of Open/Libre office and Firefox or Chrome can be done via their
>> download sites, repositories are not the only way of upgrading
>> applications.
>>
>> So my oldest stays on 10.10 "no matter what" because then it operates
>> nicely. Newer versions chokes it and I do not have the energy to try out
>> x number of distros that might be better suited for the hardware. The
>> newest lappy is now on 12.04 and from how it looks might stay on that as
>> now "almost everything" works as can be expected from the hardware.
>>
>> If I ever buy a Ivy or Sandy or something a newer release will likely be
>> needed.
>>
>> Best,
>> Sinclair
>>
>> --
>> kubuntu-users mailing list
>> kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>>
>




More information about the kubuntu-users mailing list