Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat May 12 07:09:43 UTC 2012

On 12/05/12 16:15, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 12/05/12 07:57, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 12/05/12 07:43, ray burke wrote:

Until just a few weeks ago - when I built for myself a new 64-bit system
- I was using a 32-bit system which I built ~7 years ago.

In that period I have used/installed quite a number of Linux distros and
have never really had any hassles with any of them. Sure, when trying
out some beta, or something earlier, then I could get into a hassle - as
expected when you dealing with something like a beta - but nothing was
ever "fatal"; annoying yes, but not "fatal".

Perhaps it could be said that for some 7 years I led a 'magical' life
with little problems re Linux software - ESPECIALLY as I am a
"always-keeping-up-to-date" freak. If it is the latest, I will install it.

While you are correct in saying that, "If it ain't broke don't fix it",
you surely have to acknowledge that when a system is declared as no
longer supported and that some application has been upgraded because of
security (and other) reasons then it is time to "move with the times"
and install the latest software?

Or are you happy to argue that running Kubuntu version 5.04 is quite
acceptable? Or having Windows 3.1.1 still acceptable to run by those who
are MS zealots?

The OP said that he is running Kubuntu 10.10 which has now reached its
EOL. He is also using Firefox 9 (latest version 12, with 15.0.x being
tested). And with this combination he is having problems.

He may be having hassles because what he tried to update did not agree
with the now unsupported Kubuntu 10.10. I don't really know, but it is a
possibility.

To find which is the case he should upgrade from Kubuntu 10.10 - and see
if his system cannot handle it; in which case he can then decide why
this is so and ask questions about how to go about solving his problem.
I say this because I don't believe that Ray can be using such an ancient
computer which could not handle something like Kubuntu v 11.04 at least.
If it now handling 10.10 then it can handle 11.04.

BC