Updates 4.8.3

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Sat May 5 16:03:36 UTC 2012

On Saturday, May 05, 2012 05:20:39 PM O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 05/05/12 17:13, Clay Weber wrote:

> >> for an upgrade of KDE dist-upgrade should not be necessary as it does
> >> not involve kernel etc. I did mine via normal upgrade and all went well.
> >>
> >> I suspect a problem with local mirrors or some earlier upgrade not
> >> completed.
> >
> > Incorrect, as upgrading to  KDE 4.8.3 requires a couple of new packages to
> > be installed. A stock setup may not require it, but it is quite possible
> > some added KDE bits may need some.
>
> In which case I think kubuntu.org would have told you that dist-upgrade
> is/was necessary. For me it was not. And I can at least not remember
> that a KDE x.x.x upgrade ever was.

While isn't isn't a normal occurrence for new packages to be required, but it
does happen, and is even more likely if any extra programs are installed after
a base install.

All the gui package managers use this method by default, and are the preferred
method of package management.

But it definitely sufficient enough to run upgrade, then try dist-upgrade if
there are held packages.

--
clay