Kppp cannot be launched

Waleed Hamra kubuntu-users at whamra.com
Fri May 4 22:30:40 UTC 2012

On Saturday May 5 2012 00:11:06 Thomas Tanghus Olsen wrote:
> On Saturday 05 May 2012 01:00 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> > 12.04, KDE 4.8.3
> >
> > I was trying to launch Kppp for USB wireless modem, but the program do not
> > open.  Through terminal I got this:
> >
> > /usr/bin/kppp: Permission denied
> >
> > With sudo kppp it starts however. How can this be corrected?
> > gk
>
> sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/kppp
>
> Why do you use kppp? The network manager handles wireless modems just fine
> afaik.
>
> --
> Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards
>
> Thomas Tanghus Olsen

check the permissions on /usr/bin/kppp
kppp is a program that needs to be root to function, on my computer i see that
i has the setuid permission, so it always runs as root, regardless of who
starts it, maybe that's what you're missing?

-rwsr-xr-- 1 root dialout 546060 2012-04-06 12:39 /usr/bin/kppp

these commands should get you there:

sudo chown root:dialout /usr/bin/kppp
sudo chmod 4754 /usr/bin/kppp

after that, you should be able to run kppp as non-root, and it'll function.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems