System sounds

Steve Riley stvrly at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 18:21:39 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-15 20:04:58 Georgi Kourtev <gkourtev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Here is the output:
>
> /usr/share/kde4/apps/k3b/k3b.notifyrc:Sound=file:///usr/share/sounds/file:/
> //usr/share/sounds/file:///usr/share/sounds/KDE- K3B-Finish-Success.ogg
---snip---
> ------END-------
> gk

Yup, same thing I ran into today. Here's how I fixed it.

Run the following command. My email client wraps, but it should be a single
line. Note that there is a space following the "-i".

for j in /usr/share/kde4/apps/*/*.notifyrc; do sudo sed -i
's_Sound=file:///usr/share/sounds/_Sound=_g' $j; done

That will remove the extraneous "file:///" stuff. Check the results with the
same command I mentioned earlier:

grep Sound /usr/share/kde4/apps/*/*.notifyrc

If you still see "file:///" in any of the lines, run the "for" command again,
and check the results with the "grep" command. Lather/rinse/repeat until there
are no more lines with "file:///".

Ultimately what you'll end up with are lines that show "Sound=filename" with no
path. Now to get everything fixed with the correct path, run the original
script I posted on KFN.

...Steve